Traditional Banana Bread

Sunday, October 09, 2016



Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Canadians. And what's Thanksgiving without a kitchen filled with baked goods? I mean is it even fall if your house doesn't smell like sweet vanilla or warm cinnamon? Yeah, I didn't think so. Which is why today I'm sharing my family's recipe for traditional banana bread. Yes traditional, meaning if you're looking for some gluten free, vegan, fancy schmancy loaf of bread you're in the wrong place my friend. Don't get me wrong, I love trying out different versions of a good classic or adapting a favouirte with a new spin and or technique, but unfortunately, none of that will be happening today. So if you're a fan of the classics or you're looking for a good home-style recipe stick around and learn how to make this traditional banana bread.


I N G R E D I E N T S

1 3/4 Cup Flour
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
3/4 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Butter
2 Eggs
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 Cups Mashed Bananas


D I R E C T I O N S

Preheat oven at 350°F.

In a medium mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt thoroughly. Set this mixture aside. 

In a separate mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar together until nice and fluffy. Next add the eggs and vanilla extract followed by the bananas. Stir gently -just well enough to incorporate the added ingredients.

Next gradually add the dry ingredients in with the wet, again stirring lightly to avoid over mixing. An over mixed batter leads to a dense loaf which is no good.

Once your mixture is fully combined feel free to add in any additional ingredients like chocolate chips, dried fruit or chopped nuts. 

Once you are satisfied with your batter, pour it into a nonstick or a well greased loaf pan. As you can see I chose to top my loaf with some oats, a halved banana and a sprinkle of cinnamon. I think it adds a bit of interest to an otherwise boring loaf.

Bake your loaf for 50 to 60 minutes. 

Cool & Enjoy.


No comments :

Post a Comment