Today on what just so happens to be one of the hottest summer day I've had the pleasure of experiencing so far this year, I wanted to share a recipe for a frozen treat that will hopefully help you beat the heat and keep cool. During the Holidays I like to make many variations of chocolate bark to hand out to family and friends as gifts. What is chocolate bark you ask. Chocolate bark is essentially melted chocolate combined with a variety of add-ins like peanuts, almonds, dried fruit and even pretzels, laid out on to a baking tray covered in wax paper to cool and harden. It is basically like a homemade chocolate bar. 

Inspired by my chocolate bark recipes I decide to make a summer adaptation using Greek Yogurt. Which not only makes this recipe perfect for a hot day like today but it also makes it a great guilt free treat. So if you'd like to make this delicious and healthy frozen yogurt treat here's what you'll need.


I N G R E D I E N T S

2 1/2 Cups of Greek Yogurt
1 1/2 Cups Chopped Strawberries
1/3 Cup Chocolate Chips
1 Tablespoon of Honey
1/2 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract 
2 Tablespoons of Coconut Flakes (Optional)



D I R E C T I O N S

In a medium mixing bowl combine the Greek yogurt, 1 cup of the strawberries and about half of the chocolate chips. Next add the honey and vanilla extract. If you happen to be using a flavored yogurt like vanilla or strawberry you can go ahead and skip the extract. Oh and if you also happen to be using a fat free Greek yogurt I strongly suggest you double up on the honey; you know for flavor.

Once fully combined, turn over your yogurt mixture onto a baking sheet or baking pan lined with wax paper. Evenly spread your mixture out and top with the remainder of your strawberries and chocolate chips. 

Next lightly sprinkle with coconut flakes evenly distributing it across the surface of the bark. As an optional step drizzle a bit of honey on top of your yogurt bark for a nice added touch. 

Now place your bark in the freezer for about six hours to set and harden. For best results I recommend leaving it overnight. Once frozen you can carefully chop your bark into pieces and enjoy. Store your bark in an air-tight container in your freezer for up to a week. 


What's great about this treat, much like barks made of chocolate, is that the possibilities are endless. Just like traditional barks you can incorporate pretty much anything into the recipe. I actually have a few other variations and combinations that I'd like to whip up before the Summer ends; so if you'd like to see another version here on the blog be sure to let me know and if you decide to try out this recipe don't forget to share your creation on twitter.

Post a Comment

Instagram