Book Review | The Rosie Effect

Friday, June 12, 2015



First and foremost I would like to apologize for my absence over the last week and a half. I don't believe I've mentioned this before but I am currently taking summer courses and it has become a challenge trying to find time to blog. But rest assured I will in deed find a happy medium. With that being said feel free to leave any post suggestions you may have down in the comment section. I'd love to hear some feed back as to what type of blog post you'd like to see more of here on my site. Anyway, today I wanted to share a book review. 

Today's review is on The Rosie Effect, the sequel to Graeme Simsion's popular novel The Rosie Project. I read and review The Rosie Project last summer so if you are interested in the series but haven't got around to picking up a copy I suggest you stop reading this post and proceed to one of my recommend posts below; because as much as I try to limit spoilers reviewing a sequel is much more difficult. 


The Rosie Effect picks up practically right where the first novel left off. Don and Rosie are now married and have started their new life together in NYC. With Don spending his day as a professor at Columbia University and Rosie working her way to becoming a doctor, everything seemed to be going well for the newlyweds. That is until ten months into their marriage Rosie shakes Don's world with the annoncment of her pregnancy. Now with impending parenthood on the horizon both Don and Rosie are left wondering if they have what it takes to make it as parents, and in typical Don Tilman fashion on his quest to find out what it takes to be a good father he gets himself into some pretty hilarious situations.

You might remember from my previous review that I wasn't much of a fan of the novel, and sadly not much as changed in regards to the sequel. Although I found some of Don's antics more entertaining this time around, majority of them were so far fetched and over the top that I found myself rolling my eyes. The story itself felt a bit rushed as I feel like the route cause of Don and Rosie's marriage troubles weren't fully addressed and don't get me started about the character development. In the first novel I found Rosie to be delightfully witty and understand, which is why she and Don made such a good pair. She was able to understand his quirkiness, and he we was now able to appreciate living in the moment. Sadly I saw a lot of character regression when reading this one, particularly in Rosie's character. The fun loving character was gone and I figured that was mostly due to nature of the plot, her being pregnant and all, but the author completely ruined what was formerly my favourite character in the series. Finally what I found to be the real kicker was that there was far too much tension between the couple and way too much lying, both of which could have easy been avoided if they just sat down and had a conversation. Again my eyes were a rolling throughout certain chapters. Thankfully there was a lot of both humorous and charming parts throughout that I really enjoyed but I most likely wouldn't recommend this novel unless that person has read the first or has shown some interest in the story. t me know if you have read either the first novel or the sequel and what were thoughts on the both. Also if you have any book recommendations please don't hesitate to leave them in the comments.