NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation

Monday, May 18, 2015


NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation (xo.Janiecy.xo)


Earlier this year NARS released a few new additions to their complexion range and the all day luminous weightless foundation was one of them. I wasn't exactly in the market for new foundation, as I am still very much in love with my Estee Lauder Double Wear. That being said, there was something intriguing about this foundation, so much so, that I was quick to purchase a full sized bottle without so much as trying a sample. Something I rarely do. Lucky for me, this foundation was making the rounds in the beauty community so I heard the buzz and got the gist. Still, I don't recommend you purchase an expensive foundation without so much as trying a sample first; well, unless your purchase was made during Sephora's annual spring sale. Check out my haul post, if you'd like to see what else I got during the sale.

All day luminous is NARS' replacement for their sheer matte foundation. It is described as a full coverage, yet lightweight foundation, that provides a natural luminous finish. It is also oil and fragrance free and is formulated without the use of alcohol or parabens. This foundation is dermatologist tested, promises up to sixteen hours of wear and states that it's for all skin types. The overall packaging of this foundation is simply gorgeous. The sleek frosted bottle, the signature NARS' logo, even the matte black cap; but the thing that has everyone all hot a bothered is the fact that this is the first NARS foundation to come with an actual pump. So luxury packaging aside, let's discuss the actual formula. This foundation is very much fluid, to the point where is resembles a light serum. It is designed to feel lightweight and airy on the skin. NARS also claims that with it's intense pigmentation, one pump is enough to cover one's entire face.

Application wise I've tried a number of different techinques but give the fact that this foundation sets lighting fast I found that a typical brush application wouldn't sufice; it would just lead to a streaky and patchy finish. Instead I find that it is best to work in sections and use either a makeup sponge, like a beauty blender, or your fingers, as recommended. Now we all know that your girl here has some seriously oily acne prone skin; so to the get the coverage I want I have to use a least two and half pumps. If you're familiar with the amount that one pump gives you, you'll understand why. Right off the bat let me just say that I don't find this to be a full coverage foundation; medium coverage yes, full no. I personally suffer from cystic acne and noticeable pores, so although this foundation initially glides over my troublesome spots by midday I find that not only does the foundation accentuates my acne, by clingy to dry areas where it has been treated, but it has a tendency to settle into my large pores and fine lines. Also by midday my tzone is in it's prime oily stage and I find that in combination with this foundations luminosity I no longer have a subtle glow but a full blown shine to my skin. Which in my opinion is unflattering especially when you have noticeable dry patches along the perimeter of your face and in the center you're a shiny beacon of light.

So in short, let me just say that this isn't a bad foundation by any means, and just because I didn't like how it preformed on me doesn't you that you won't like it. I'd say that this foundation would work best on normal to combination skin types, but if you happen to have dry skin and you're prepared to use a heavy duty hydrating moisturizer and primer along side of this foundation I think you'll really enjoy it. And if you do have oily skin like me, but you don't have large pores or scars or acne I think you'd enjoy this foundation as well. Personally I don't want a foundation that looks great after the initial application but by midday it's in my pores and looks terrible. I would rather stick with my beloved DW and use a setting spray or liquid highlight and achieve a similar finish; that way I'll not only know that it will stand the test of time but that it will actually look better as the day goes on.

NARS' All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation retails for a mind blowing $57 CND, (I swear its due to that damn pump) and can be found at Sephora, Sephora.com and wherever else NARS cosmetics are sold. I know there are a lot of mixed reviews going around for this foundation but if you've tried it let me know what your thoughts are in the comment section below. Who knows maybe if I get my hands on both MUFE's mattifying and smoothing primers I'd actually get a better wear out of this foundation. I'll keep you posted.