Budget Friendly Mother's Day Up-Cycle

Friday, May 08, 2015


Budget Friendly Mother's Day Up-Cycle (xo.Janiecy.xo)

With Mother's Day right around the corner I thought I would share a simple and budget friendly DIY with you. This year I was stuck on what to get my mother for the special day, as it seems like she already has it all. Countless bottles of perfume, more jewelery than her wrists/ neck can hold and honestly I didn't want to go down the materialist route. Now floral bouquets are nice but they die rather quickly, so that is why I decided to go with a house plant. Something that will continue to grow through out the years and I don't know; there's just something but greenery that just livens up a space. Continue reading to see what you'll need.

Budget Friendly Mother's Day Up-Cycle (xo.Janiecy.xo)Budget Friendly Mother's Day Up-Cycle (xo.Janiecy.xo)

If you're anything like me you probably have numerous empty candle jars lying around which is great because they just so happen to make the perfect flower pot. So if you happen to go through your stash of empty candle jars go a head and clear out any remaining wax as well as clean up the container. There are a lot of different methods for do such but I prefer the freezer technique. 

Now that you have some where to house your plants you're going to need well plants. Now that it's Spring many retailers have opened their garden centers so have a look around and see if any particular plants catch your eye. I got my plants from Home Depot for about $3 each. Score! Be mindful though, if your mother lacks a green thumb try to stick to plants that require little to no maintenance like succulents or cacti.

Once you have you have your plants and some where to plant them go forth and grab you gardening gloves and your shovel and plant those plants. Annoyingly so, our hand shovel was missing when I did this, which meant that I had to get down and dirty and use only my hands for this part. Also some additional soil might be require if your jar is on the large side and or your plant didn't come with enough. Which again is why I'd definitely recommend having a small shovel handy. And tada, your beautiful mother's day up-cycle is complete.

Let me know what your Mother's Day plans are what you got for your mother for her special the day. And if you give this DIY a trey feel free to share the results on social media (my links can found below).