First Impressions | UD Black Magic Liner Set

Wednesday, December 10, 2014


Urban Decay Black Magic Double Ended 24/7 Eye Pencil Set

Despite only having tried a handful of products by Urban Decay, they have ensured a permanent spot as one of my all time favourite high end makeup brands. Now this is an impressive clique, that includes the likes of mac, makeup for ever, and nars; you have to be truly wonderful and pack some serious star power to be considered amongst this crowd and I must say that UD possesses that same je ne sais quoi. One of their products that I've been dreaming of trying out is one of their 24/7 Glide On Eye Pencils, as they have some pretty big claims and a lot of people seem to really love them. So when I saw that they release not one but two different holiday sets of their popular liners I knew this would be the perfect opportunity to give them a try. I opted for the double ended set of four that you see before you, as opposed to the set of ten. I figure it would be best to dip a toe in their eyeliner world not plunge head first.

The Black Magic set is described as the perfect set for black liner junkies. This set gives you the opportunity to try every black shade that they make as well as providing you with some of their other popular shades. The set includes Zero (black), Perversion (matte blackest black), Black Velvet (which is one of their velvet formulas), Black Market (their new charcoal black), Smoke (a deep matte grey), LSD (a shimmery navy), Demolition (dark brown), and Tornado (a dark eggplant). 

Let me just say that I had some ridiculously high hopes for these liners and even though I have yet to wear them all they did not disappoint. It really says something about a liner when they are swatched on the back of your hand. These are so buttery and soft that they practically glide on, which I'm sure is why they clearly state that in the name; but seriously my other eye pencils from NYX aren't nearly as soft and when I swatch them in comparison you can really feel a difference in the way that they tug and drag on the back of your hand. Don't even get me started about staying power. I'm not sure how accurate the 24hrs in the 24/7 claim is but once the first initial application dries it's not going anywhere until it's time to wash it off; and in that case I recommend a cleansing oil or a oil based makeup remover to help break it all down. Now despite their unreal staying power these bad boys are a blending dream, I can see why so many use them as bases for shadow as they're more than just a liner, they're practically a shadow stick as well.

This set was definitely a good buy, I can see myself using these liners for years to come, well maybe not these exact liners but the brand as a whole. This set retails for $47 at Sephora and $39 at Ulta Beauty, though I'm sure you can find this set or something similar at your local Urban Decay Counters and on their very own website. Let me know what you thought of this post below and don't forget to check out my previous posts, like my Black Friday Haul and my November Favourites, and if you haven't already feel free to subscribe through Bloglovin' for more blog posts from yours truly.