21 Goals & Counting

Wednesday, October 08, 2014

As the majority of you may know today is my 21st birthday and the most commonly asked question to date has been; do I have any plans? and yes I do. I plan on spending the day reflecting on the past year, planning out the next and setting goals for myself. Oh and of course I have dinner plans at one of my all time favourite restaurants because a birthday should always include food; but back to the birthday reflections. This past year has been filled with a lot of ups and a lot of downs. I don't want to go into detail about all that but know that it has been grounds for a whole lot of thinking; or should I say over-thinking. A lot has happened this past year and after a minor set back I feel that I am truly ready to start a new chapter as well as work on a few personal goals for the next year.



1. Learn to DRIVE, this past spring I finally got my G1 and the plan was to go to driver's school during the summer and become a licensed driver by the fall, not everything goes as planned, and although I have my learners permit I have yet to get behind the wheel of an actual moving vehicle.

2. Learn to BUDGET, yes you read that correctly. In the next year I would like to successfully learn how to manage my income as well as how to get the most turn around from it.

3. Be more POSITIVE, now I wouldn't say I'm a negative or pessimistic person but no way am I an optimist. I would say that I smack right in the middle as a realist but I know that I could stand to look  on the bright side more often.

4. Be more OUTGOING, as a naturally introverted person I know I could stand to be more open to new experiences as well as say yes to more opportunities.

5. SPEND LESS TIME on the COMPUTER, I spend way more time then I'd like to admit tapping away on my keyboard and as much as I like creating blog posts on here but I think I could really benefit from some time away.

6. Become a CULINARY MASTER, okay so maybe not a culinary master but I would be down to learn how to make some of those favourite family meals that I so often look forward to come any and all family dinners.

7.  Become more SOCIABLE, this goes back to me being an introvert and don't get me wrong I like the way I am and I enjoy my own company; actually I love being my own best friend. But at the same time I would really like to become more sociable and untimely meet new people as well as establish old relationships.

8.  Become more FAMILY ORIENTED, I feel like I'm really going to be roasted for this one but truth be told I could stand to be a lot closer to my extended family as well as be more present in their lives. I want to chalk this up to me being so introverted and not liking to put myself out there and engage in the dreaded personal small talk. You know the one, where all your extended aunts and uncles ask about your education, your plans for the future, and where you see yourself in 10 years; ugh I'm shuddering just thinking about these interactions as I am very personal and I don't like anyone knowing anything that I personally chose to tell them. That being said with the holiday season approaching I know that this is something I need to work on.




9. TRAVEL, I often dream about visiting new places and traveling the world. I honestly have so many places I'd like to visit, but guess I'll just have to add a section for travel in my budget plans.

10. DON'T FEEL PRESSURED to go WILD in my twenties,  I know I said that I wanted to be more outgoing and social but I will not entertain the idea that as a young twenty-somthing-year-old I am meant to go crazy and stumble around drunk every night. That's just not going to happen. That being said I will gladly enjoy a drink or two or three on occasions.

11. DON'T FEEL PRESSURED to find THE ONE, like number ten I will not entertain the idea that I need to be constantly on the look out for mr. right. He will come along whenever.

12. LIVE a HEALTHY LIFESTYLE, I do believe that I'm already on the right track since I do try to maintain a good balance of eating right and working out but there is always room from improvement which is what I'd like to see happen in the next year.

13. LIVE WHILE I'M YOUNG, I'll be the first to admit that I day dreaming about the future far too much, and yes there is a limit. It's fine to envision your future life, your dream job, your perfect family but when you start using your fantasy future dreamland as a way to escape from the here and the now it becomes a problem. I'll have to work extra hard on this one and try to be present and strive to make it to my dreamland. 

14. Become MORE CONFIDANT, this is more of a fake it till ya make it sort of thing, as I am self doubting by nature; but hey I'm working on it.



15. TRY NEW THINGS, I'm a creature of habit and I tend to stick to the things I know, but I want to again step away from the norm a venture out whether that be trying new food, or experiences.

16. LEARN a NEW SKILL, I've always been interested in learning a new language and although I took French lessons in school I was down right horrible and can barely recall anything beside hello, my name is. I would also love to properly get into photography. I always found it to be such and interesting form of self expression. 

17.  Quit WORRYING SO MUCH, this will probably never happen but a girl can dream of a worry-free life, right? This is due to my over-thinking as I am constantly filling my head with thoughts of every possible scenario imagined. I worry so much that I often find myself weighing my head down with problems that don't even exist.

18. STRESS LESS, and when I'm not worrying I'm stressing about this, that and another. My mind seriously does not stop.

19. TAKE CHARGE of my ANXIETY, all of that is due to this issue right here. I never speak openly about this issue as I feel like I don't have grounds to. I know that so many people suffer so much worse with this issue that I try not to complain about how little I struggle with it. I hope that in the next year or so I will be able to keep what little anxiety I have in check.

20. ACCEPT the things I CAN'T CHANGE, I wouldn't say I'm the most controlling person on the face of the earth but I have a tendency to over analyze and harp on things that I have no control in. What good does that do me? None! It just brings me down and sends me into a fit of worry.

21. seek a life of HAPPINESS, this is actually something I strive for most in my life because it's something so personal that only you can find for yourself. No one can find your happiness but you, you're not going to find it in material possessions or in a triple digit cheque. You're going to find it within.


Whew, that was a lot to get through. If you still with me I'd like to say a big thank you and ask for you all to take a minute with me. I was debating about writing a post like this, as it is by far the most personal one I've done to date. Which scares me a bit but also excites me. I found writing this post to be somewhat therapeutic for me. Although I'll probably only achieve half of these goals in the next year, if I'm lucky ha, and I'm a-okay with that. I titled this post 21 goals and counting, well because it was my 21st birthday, but also because I knew that these goals would be constantly changing over time. Let me know what you think and if you see something here that you'd like to work on.  

No comments :

Post a Comment