Book Review | The Edge of Never

Friday, May 02, 2014



Ah yes another book review, you guys know how much I love reading and how much I enjoy sharing new novels with you. Today's book review which is called The Edge of Never and is written by J.A. Redmerski. I picked this book up on a whim a few weeks back as I found myself in my favourite store ever, Chapters, without a book in hand. I can't remember where I first heard about this book but I'm pretty sure it was one of the recommended books on some online book list. When I first read the description of the novel I became instantly intrigued by the overall story. This is actually the second novel I've read, as of late, that is nestled in the 'New Adult' genre, the first being Beautiful Disaster which I reviewed here. The New Adult Genre is a relatively new genre that is described as books/ stories that focus on the period of time were the protagonist is becoming a full-fledged adult and or is seeking to find him or herself. Shout out to Good Reads because I would not have even known this genre even existed, I honestly thought it went pre-teen, teen and then adult, Ha how naive of me.

The Edge of Never is the story of twenty-year-old Camryn Bennett, a girl who has spent her entire life, doing the same old thing, in her small town of Raleigh, North Carolina. Camryn has always longed to be anything but ordinary. One day Camryn believes she has had enough of her boring mundane life, filled with nothing but routines, she decides to stop letting life pass her by and sets out to see the world and experience all it has to offer, by skipping town. She boards the first bus out of Raleigh, hell bent on getting as far away from her old life as possible and discovering what she wants out of life. Along the way she meets Andrew Parrish, someone who knows how to live life to the fullest and isn't afraid to live like there's no tomorrow, soon on their new adventure Camryn discovers the real reason that propels Andrew's daring side and why he was so eager to leave his old life behind.

This book was a whirlwind of adventure, I mean who doesn't love a good cross-country road-tip love story? there were a few times when I thought the writing was a little meh and I thought the author could have worded certain scenes differently but all in all I loved this book. I love the character development and I was, like everyone else who has read the story as evident by Good Reads, hooked on the relationship between Andre and Camryn, from beginning to end. Oh and did I mention that this novel is told in dual point of views? Well it is, which is a huge sigh of relief because when I heard the author released a sequel I immediately wrote it off as a retake on the same story told in an alternative p.o.v. Boy was I glad I was wrong, 'cause as much as I like dual perspectives I'm not a fan of when author's release the same story in a different p.o.v, I just find that it takes away from the actually story and how I felt when I first read it.

Alright enough of my rambling, I sure can go on and on about books, or well just about anything I like. Like always be sure to let me know what you think of this novel and if you have any recommendations of what book I should read next feel free to share; though I think I might pick up the sequel of this book as I'm sure it'll be just as awesome as the first.

No comments :

Post a Comment