Book Review: L.A. Candy Book Series

Thursday, July 04, 2013


This past weekend I finished reading a set of books (well I guess more like rereading a set of books because I read the first two books a while back) by Reality Star turned author Lauren Conrad called L.A. Candy. These books are a quick and fun read and I thoroughly enjoy the story and look forward to reading them time and again, I also included these books in my June Favorites which you can check out here.


In her debut trilogy L.A. Candy The Hills star writes about her experience on being on a wildly popular reality TV show. I must stress that this book is entirely fiction, although the overall plot was in fact inspired by her real life as part of the reality show, The Hills, the characters in the book, their background, and the drama are all fiction and created by the author herself.

Without giving too much away on what takes place in each book, I'm just going to tell you an overall synopsis of the main plot. The story is told through the perspective of small town girl Jane Roberts (the protagonist), her BFF Scarlett (the deutagonist) & attention seeker socialite Madison Parker (the antagonist).

Jane, a nineteen year-old girl from Southern California, moves to LA with her Best Friend Scarlett to intern at an event planning firm. While enjoying a night out Scarlett and Jane have a run in with TV producer Trevor Lord who offers them a spot on his new Reality TV show. Reluctantly both girls join the show, in hopes of stepping out of their small town Calli flip flops and experience a once in a lifetime opportunity. Once the show becomes a hit both girls are instantly thrusted into the Hollywood spotlight and the following books tell the story of their roller-coaster Reality TV careers.

The thing I love most about this trilogy is that even though Jane is the main character, we also get to read in the perspective of her best friend, her fame whore coaster star, and the TV Producer himself. You may think that would make for a lot of confusion where the story is concerned, but it's actually a fun way of experiencing the lives of each character.

Like I said before these books are an easy and fun read, perfect for someone who isn't a big time reader and is looking for a girly novel to enjoy this summer.

In addition to writing this set of novels Lauren also wrote a spinoff called the Fame Game which follows the one and only attention seeking fame hound, Madison Parker, herself. Despite Madison's schemes in this first installment of novels she is easily one of my favorite characters and I cannot wait to see what kind of trouble she gets up to in LC's new spinoff.

Let me know if you read these books before and how you liked them, and don't forget to leave any book recommendations you may have for me.

9 comments :

  1. I've been meaning to read these books for a while so i'm glad they are fun to read! I need something that's quick and fun and I love the fact that it's based on her life.

    Hannah x
    http://b-l-a-b.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're such a good read, you can't go wrong with a good chicklit book. And yeah I love that she took her experience and wrote about it, makes me love the story even more. <3

      xo, Janiecy

      Delete
  2. I've actually have these on waiting at the library. Can't wait to get started on them. I like Lauren's style so hopefully I like her writing too. I'm going to recommend 'Looking for Alaska' by John Green


    http://between-friends-fashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh really, I hope you enjoy them as much as I did. Thank you for your recommendation I actually just read LFA last month, you can check out my review if you'd like. http://janiecyxo.blogspot.ca/2013/06/book-review-looking-for-alaska.html

      Thanks for stopping by. c:
      xo, Janiecy

      Delete
  3. I loved reading those books! It was such a fun and easy read! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they great, have you read the spin off series yet?

      xo, Janiecy

      Delete
    2. Yes I've only read the first one though I still need to read starstuck and infamous! xx

      Delete
  4. Iv been meaning to pick these up, im a fan of lauren conrad and iv heard these are ghost written but i wanna read them still :)
    Great review!

    BlogLovin' | Blog | Facebook
    xoXo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, to be fair a lot of celebrity novels are ghost written, at least to one extent, because they aren't professional writers so they usual enlist help. You should pick get them they're great.

      Thanks for stopping by. c:
      xo, Janiecy

      Delete